Thursday 14 June 2018

DVT

This morning I woke up and Karen was back again! I chilled for a bit and read some of my book and about 11am the physiotherapy team came to see me. They asked how confident I would feel trying some stair climbing! I didn't feel that my leg would be strong enough but I thought why not give it a try. The team wheeled me to their physio room where they had a set of stairs, I gave it a bloody good go and I managed to climb them!! There were only 8 stairs but it's such an achievement! Going down the stairs was much harder than going up, I struggled but I managed it!

Mish was meant to be coming to visit me this afternoon, but after she had a scan this morning she was told that she was going to be induced because her baby was almost ready to come! So her and Dave came to visit for a little bit, but then I was whisked away for a scan on my right arm because of how large it had become.

I was wheeled downstairs and given a doppler ultrasound on my right arm.

Doppler ultrasound is a test that uses high-frequency sound waves to measure the amount of blood flow through your arteries and veins, usually those that supply blood to your arms and legs. Vascular flow studies, also known as blood flow studies, can detect abnormal flow within an artery or blood vessel.

This doppler ultrasound revealed that I have a DVT within the subclavian and axillary veins where my PICC line was. FFS. Life seriously does not want to cut me a break!!

Since I've been in hospital, I've been on a blood thinner called Clexane which all hospital patients are given as standard. Now I have this DVT, my dose has been increased to 100mg. I have to have this for 3 months. That means when I get to leave hospital, I'll have to inject myself in the tummy - yuck!

The clexane injection

No comments:

Post a Comment