Friday 1 June 2018

Chicken Teriyaki

Mum and Colin have been told by the nurses that I am refusing to eat and that I have been put on IV nutrients because of this. It's not that I don't want to eat, it's that I am in too much pain to concentrate on actually eating and that the hospital menu is so bland, boring and repetitive that there is nothing I ever actually want. 

Every day the lovely lunch lady comes round with the menu for the next day. It's like Groundhog Day, the menu is exactly the same every day for a week and then it changes and it exactly the same for the next week. Now don't get me wrong, our NHS is abso-bloody-lutely fantastic and the fact you get free meals 3 times a day and fruit, biscuits, hot drinks etc whenever you ask is amazing; but I am a fussy bugger when it comes to food. 

As I am not eating properly, it is apparently causing issues with my already weaked kidneys, therefore I know I have to eat. Mum gets out a pen and paper and asks me if there is anything I actually fancy eating that they can either a) Get from the hospital right now (options are the café, a very small Boots, a very small M&S and some vending machines or b) Bring me in from home. I am so dozy from pain meds and hurting everywhere, that I just don't know what I want. 

They eventually end up with a list that says Trail Mix, Mini Cheddars, Raisins, Flapjacks, (v randomly) M&S Chicken Teriyaki Bites and Orange Squash. So not an enormous list, but a start. They leave to see what they can find and I fall asleep. Mum and Col return triumphant with a few things, plus the M&S Chicken Teriyaki. Which I then decide I don't want after all and ask them to put in the fridge! #IKnowI'mAPainInTheArse 

Mum has brought back a tiny cheese and tomato pizza which she force feeds me and I tell her I don't want the crusts (told you I was fussy). She tells me tough and feeds me them anyway! 

The next day, they return, having had deliveries from Rob and been shopping, with everything on my list and more. Now all I have to do is eat it....

No comments:

Post a Comment