Thursday 31 May 2018

The PICC line

I am woken early and told I am about to be taken down for an operation to insert a PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) line. I am barely awake and for a while through a hazy fug I fight with this doctor about this. I know I react badly to anyone putting anything in my veins. But basically it’s tough shit. The nurses are going to be giving me daily IVs (tbc) and taking daily bloods. They need to do this somehow and a PICC is the best way rather than a daily stabbing. The PICC is allows bloods out and treatment in so it really is the best solution. I agree and am wheeled to theatre carrying Recky to squeeze throughout the op.

Once down in theatre I am warned of the risks: The PICC line can move out of position if it is not secured in place (with sutures). There is a risk of vein clotting (thrombosis) or vein inflammation (phlebitis). You may get an infection at the insertion site or in your bloodstream. The PICC may need to be removed and you may need antibiotics. I sign the consent forms.

I am then prepared for the op. They remove the old cannula. The docs clean my arm, and use an ultrasound machine to find the deepest and best vein to use. One doc injects my arm with anaesthetic and it fecking hurts. I grip Recky as tightly as I can with my other hand and squeal with the pain. My veins are so bad but luckily the doc gets the big bugger needle in first time to get the line in place. The other doc finishes off by doing an xray to make sure it’s all in situ perfectly (which thank goodness it is!).

If needs be the PICC can apparently stay in your arm for 12 months 😮, average is apparently 6 months. I’m only prepared to keep this in whilst I’m in hospital. It’s flappy and annoying. It’s restrictive and if when I’m out I’m not having IV chemo then why do I need it in. Whilst in hospital I’ll need the dressing changed at least once a week and a regular flush through.


Michelle comes to see me but I am fast asleep, she leaves some goodies for me and disappears without waking me. Bless her. I wake up to an awful smell, the woman in the bed to the right of me has shat the bed.... It really smells 🙈

 My arm begins to feel bloody sore already.


The temporary tape holding the PICC in place is really itchy but they have to leave the PICC uncovered for 24 hours after the op just to monitor it. 

Laura visits that evening and I am a bit more awake and talking than I have been before which is cool. She tells me about her cool visit to the USA and some exciting exploits she got up to! I remember really liking her jacket and weirdly I dream about it that night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment