Wednesday 16 May 2018

A Painful MRI

My 3 monthly MRI is due. Yay. Not. Pfft. I hate MRIs, they are so claustrophobic and loud and painful, bleurgh. This one also ties in with the one my onc requested I had at the mixed bag meeting.

Beppe is currently broken 😞 There’s an issue with the coolant or something so Lesley at work has very kindly been driving me to and from the office. She kindly takes me to work today and I work all day until Rob picks me up at 16:30 and drives me to East Surrey for my scan. 

As this scan is my 3 month check, it’s a long one too. The nurses take 7 bloody tries before they get the cannula in. It’s not their fault. I hate my veins and I bet the nurses do too! 😥 I’m in the tube of hideousness for almost 2 hours. It’s loud and bloody painful. Painful because I cannot move and my back is so ruddy sore at the moment. Also painful because they strap a chest plate type thing on me that pushes on my sore chest. They have also properly clamped my ears in and they hurt too! The music that sometimes plays through the headphones to mask the noise is broken so I just have to lie there listening to all the loud noises. I try to pass the time by singing to myself, but then that makes me dance my feet. I get told off for moving and they have to restart part of the scan. Oops. Poor Rob is just sat outside, playing on his Switch, bored out of his mind. Eventually it’s done. I am helped off the bed because I feel like I could collapse. I am busting for a wee, I get dressed, go to the loo and as I am getting up I catch the cannula and it rips out of my arm. Blood pours everywhere, all over the floor, Rob goes grey, uh oh. The nurses clean me up and we are finally allowed to go.

On the way home in the car, I reflect that I’m actually fully expecting to see progression when I get the results of this scan. My back is immensely sore at the moment. I just cannot see how the spine has not got worse. I take pain relief constantly. At work I use a heat pad non-stop. I am fed up of popping so many painkillers, taking nightly oramorph and disturbing both Rob and my sleep, it just cannot carry on this way. I have already made my mind up that when I see Dr P tomorrow I will be asking for a blast of palliative radiotherapy on my back, progression or not. This will mean I probably have a week of awful pain whilst the rads do their thing but then hopefully some pain will ease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment