Sunday 13 May 2018

Younger Women with Secondaries Together - Bristol

This weekend I was privileged enough to be able to attend an event in Bristol organised by Breast Cancer Care for women aged under 45 specifically with Secondary Breast Cancer. I have actually been on one of these awesome weekends before in November 2012 in Brighton when I had my primary diagnosis.

Whereas in 2012 I was pretty apprehensive about going to the event, this time because I’d connected with most of the ladies going on this one via my YBCN Facebook group I was more excited! We’d all chatted in advance and worked out where we were going to meet etc so my planning side felt pleased 😂

Channelling a French vibe:


I made the mammoth train journey down to Bristol, jumped in a taxi and headed to the lovely Mercure hotel. As before in 2012, everything about the weekend was funded, the hotel, meals, speakers etc. As soon as I arrive to check in, I was met by a huge sweeping hug from Mairi. Had never met the lass in real life before, but everyone’s Facebook connection is so strong it felt like I knew her already 😊

I went to my room, dumped my stuff and headed to the bar. Spotting my girls, we all hugged and started to chat, it was awesome to be with them all for real! Hugging Pilar, Nina and Lisa after chatting for so long was incredible. I also met some “newbs” who weren’t part of the YBCN group who I recruited into the fold. We all got to know each other very quickly and our sense of humour matched perfectly. I knew I’d made lifelong friends when I hugged Bubbles, laughed until I couldn't breathe with Bev, Dom, Steph and Myra, talking about Elmer Fudd & Popeye 😂, Boo's cider shits, our tits, nothing off limits - I think I got to bed about 2am!


The next morning I headed upstairs for the official start of event. I was given a name badge that was immediately adjusted to Lily by Bev! The night before Bev was convinced she had met me somewhere before, she couldn't work it out until about 4 hours later when she shouted Lily Allen at me 🤣

We were called into the main room where the running order of the weekend was explained, there were a few general sessions about treatment, trials etc and then various break-out groups which we had specifically chosen as of interest to us. After a chat about medical advances and other topics we headed down for some lunch. My afternoon breakout group was about Palliative Care and the misnomers about what this is. Other options could have been:
  • Adjusting/adapting to a life-limiting illness
  • Relationships & communication
Mine was interesting and clarified a few things in my head, however it was a little Bristol-focussed. I understand as they obviously could not cover all areas in the country, and different areas have different levels of care etc. What was good was the explanation that palliative is not literally as you are dying, it’s everything they can do from right now to help.

I also then did a session on exercise and what was possible with my mets, and as a result I have bought some resistance bands.

We then had chill time so Lisa, Boo, Bubbles and I got some snacks and drinks and relaxed in Boo's room. Then I went back my room, got ready for dinner and had another wicked night full of fun and giggles.




The next morning I got ready into a pretty dress 🙂 Lisa loved my priceless £2 watch and ordered it in about 3 colours, good old Amazon from China 🤣

 

We started in the same large room where we had an interesting session on clinical trials. If anyone would like the presentation on this, please get in touch and I will happily share.

We then had our breakout groups where the options were:
  • Talking with/supporting children - sadly obvious not one for me 😪
  • Adjusting/adapting to a life-limiting illness
  • Sexuality and intimacy 
I chose the life-limiting illness session. It was interesting but felt a little more like a group therapy session rather than actually getting coping tips. It was very helpful though and I got the chance to speak about this blog and how cathartic it was which was very cool. 

Then we had lunch and the event was over! It went so fast but it was so good. My heartfelt thanks to everyone at Breast Cancer Care for making the weekend happen. I got some amazing information but the best thing by far to come out of it was connecting to people and making amazing friends.


The Bristol Bitches Mascot is living with Boo  😂



04/08/2018 - I can't quite believe this. RIP Mairi. Shine Bright. I don't know how the fuck this happened so fast. I am in shock. You were so well at Bristol and the first person to hug me. Fuck you cancer you utter utter bastard 😓

No comments:

Post a Comment