Thursday 5 April 2018

A Mixed Bag

Colin took me to my appointment today, bit of a mixed bag. They still aren’t sure if my spine is better or worse! I’m a complicated beast it turns out. Basically one of my tumour markers CA125 has risen a fair bit since they were last tested, however the other tumour marker (CA153) has gone down! They really aren’t sure what’s going on! So my onc wants me to have another MRI and a CT. These actually tie in with my regular scan checks anyway so all good. If the area at the base of my spine has got worse, then I’ll have to have some radiotherapy. Rads is fine though, I can defo cope with that.

My onc has asked me if I can be a case study! I’ll be written up (completely anonymously), as an example of not rushing into unnecessary treatment. So if another less savvy onc than mine had seem my brain scan and assumed it was mets, they could have gone straight to treating them. However, mine looked at my notes and considered my potential neurofibromatosis. Thank goodness she did.

Basically I have cytomas in my brain which are benign and are as a result of my NF1. She could have just assumed they were brain mets. So that’s why she wants to write me up! I’m interesting medically because:

- I was diagnosed young first time round, just 28
- I have secondaries
- I have neurofibromatosis type 1

Then we went up to Comet Ward for my denosumab, easy as ever, injection in the tummy and that’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment