Wednesday 12 December 2012

Pre Op Assessment

Today I had my Pre Op Assessment. I wasn't really sure what this would entail but apparently it is something everyone has before they have any type of surgery to ascertain that they are fit and healthy enough to undergo an operation. From speaking to other people it seems that everyone's assessment is different but this is what happened in mine....

Before I had my appointment I had to fill in a questionnaire which asked me lots of questions about any operations I had had before, lifestyles, allergies and general health. When I got to my meeting at the hospital they went through my questionnaire, weighed me, measured my height, tested my blood pressure, took my pulse, swabbed my groin and up my nose for MRSA and they also explained what would be happening in my operation next week. They also tried to take my bloods but my veins weren't behaving so after a few attempts I was sent over to phlebotomy where they managed to do it straight away using a Butterfly Needle. I am going to ask for those all the time in future rather than be a pin cushion!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,
    I've just read ALL of your blog from the beginning. Thank you SO much, I'm going to be having the same chemo as you and have been sh***ing myself but now I know what to expect I'm certain I can cope. I had my WLE 3 weeks ago and if I can give you one tip it's buy yourself a sleep bra. Just a cheap one from ebay has made all the difference to me as I just couldn't get comfy before I got it.
    Good luck with your op.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete