Wednesday 19 December 2012

The Op

Mum, Rob & I checked into the hospital at 07h00. We were there for about 15 minutes when a nurse came through & explained how the day would work. Then about 07h30 I was taken through to register with a nurse who ran through various questions with me & measured me for some sexy anti-DVT socks. Then I met with my surgeon's registrar who explained exactly how the operation would work.

About 09h30 I went down to the x-ray department. I had 2 mammogram photos taken & then 2 local anaesthetics (ouchy!) in lefty. They then inserted 2 wires, one in the area of the marker coil, the other in the area of microcalcifications. Feeling pretty tender I walked back to the waiting room and about an hour later I met with the Home Care nurses. The HCNs will be coming out to the flat for as long as I need them to check the wound, keep an eye on the drain, dressings etc & once they are happy I can officially be discharged.

About an hour later I met with the anaesthetist who explained to me how the GA would work. He said they would put a cannula in my hand & then I would have the GA injected. He explained my arm would ache a bit & then I would fall asleep. Having never had one before, I explained how nervous I was & he told me I would be very well looked after.

Then I met with my BCN Carole who gave me a pressie (shower gel, tissues, Polos, a pen, notepad, chocolates & a Get Well Soon card) & explained next steps (exercises to strengthen the shoulder & arm & that I was to relax lots) & that I might be a bit smurfy (blue face for a day or two, smurf wee for a day & blue boob for between 2 weeks & a few months) after the op due to the blue dye used in the SLNB.


About 13h30 I was feeling pretty hungry & thirsty having been nil by mouth since 20h30 last night. Then I was called to go for my operation. Eeeek! I kissed mum and Rob & walked down the corridor to get changed into my hospital gown, dressing gown, sexy anti-DVT socks & slippers.

I then walked down the next corridor & into the operating theatre. I lay on the operating table & they tried twice to put a cannula in my hand before finding a good vein. Once they had it in the anaesthetist chatted to me about my job & the next thing I knew I was coming round from the operation.

I don't remember falling asleep from the GA so it felt bizarre when I came round to be told it was all done. I vaguely remember Rob calling the recovery ward about 16h25 but was so foggy I couldn't be sure (later found out he did call & I wasn't dreaming). I was surprised to see I had a drain in as with WLEs you often don't need them but they told me I had a fair bit of oozing (yuck!) during the op. not sure how long it'll be in for but I can ask the HCNs tomorrow. After about 5 minutes I was sick a few times but this is a fairly common SE of having a GA.

The recovery team bought me water, a cup of tea, a sandwich & some jelly & ice-cream. I had a pretty sore throat from having had a tube in my mouth so couldn't really eat the sarnie but the ice-cream was great! Then after dozing a bit more I was taken downstairs (about 18h30) to see mum & Rob.

After waiting in the discharge lounge (sounds gross!) for about 15 minutes & having a smurf wee I was free to go home :) Michelle & Leanne kindly did Fagin duties so there were no stresses there whilst we were away.

I have a follow-up appointment on the 4th January to ensure they got 2mm clear margins otherwise I'll need another op. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Well done Jo:)

    I had a turquoise boob for almost 3 months! Hope all goes well for you on the 4th.

    When they told me I had clear margins and negative nodes, it was the biggest relief ever. (Then they told me i was HER2+ so had to have chemo) At least you have the chemo behind you and that is such a hurdle for us.

    Fingers and toes crossed for you

    Pixie xx

    ReplyDelete