Monday 2 July 2018

Vampire Time

To add: ?? Dr P came and reviewed my skin infection. Heart rate raised and CRP up however i was efebrile. Groin wound continues to slowly heal.


After my fall, we made our way to East Surrey Hospital for my blood tranfusions with my "just in case overnight bag". Rob dropped me at Kingsfold Unit at 8:20 and went off to make his Monday morning work call. I hobbled into the lift, leg really hurting after my fall and checked in. Luckily they said I could go straight through to the room where they would be giving the blood rather than sit in the waiting room which meant I was able to bagsy the window seat!

They wanted to cannulate me straight away and I had to explain the saga of not the right arm because of the DVT, and then that the left arm I had had lymph nodes removed. However, we had to go somewhere, so the left arm was the only choice. Mercifully the lady doing the cannula gets it in first time. They then take about 6 phials of my blood to test. 

Another day, another cannula!

Various doctors, nurses, my oncologist and my breast care nurse come and take a look at the skin infection in my groin and pubic bone. The reason they want to look is because my infection markers are raised and therefore they need to decide if they want to stop flucloxacillin and move me onto something stronger. The infection markers are measured by looking at something called CRP:

C-reactive protein is measured in milligrams of CRP per litre of blood (mg/L).Normal CRP levels are below 3.0 mg/dL.

Mine is 127mg/L! Now cancer can cause these to be raised away but this is a pretty high reading. Bugger. However, they decide that the area that was infected actually looks improved from the other day, they also say that the other area looks like it's on the mend. They want me to carry on with current antbiotics and the bloods can get underway. Hooray!

They also look at the new area I have on my arm, caused by the dressing from the other day. They decide that this is not infected, and is a reaction. 

Sorry gross image incoming..... 

 
My allergic reaction to the dressing on my arm

The rest of the blood measures from the test are fine and it currently looks like I'll only be having 2 bags worth of blood. That, coupled with no IV antibiotics means I hopefully won't be staying in.....

Rob goes and finds us a hospital picnic for lunch, he returns with various goodies,including chicken teriyaki - lol!

It's now 13:30 and the blood team bring my blood through. They pop it on the drip stand, flush my cannula, attach the blood and here we go......

Bag 1 of hopefully 2!

An exhausted moi hooked up to the blood

The first blood bag will take 3 hours to go through. They have to run it that slowly as it's the first time I've received an infusion, so they will need to monitor me very carefully. The first 15 minutes are crucial as it's when you see if your body will reject the blood or have a reaction. Luckily I have neither and therefore Rob heads home.

I spend the next 3 hours reading, blogging and playing on my iPad. Then it's time for a quick toilet break, they want to do a urine dip test and I'm hooked up to bag 2.

 Bag 2 of hopefully 2

Because I reacted well to the first bag of blood, they are able to this one more speedily. It takes 2 hours to drain through. They then release me from the blood bag, remove the cannula (hooray) and let the docs know I am finished. The docs then come round a little while later, say my bloods are good enough for me to go and that's it. Hooray!!

I head over to Tilgate Annexe to see my friend Karen who has been admitted again 😟, she's bought  a blueberry cheesecake slice for each of us and she also bought me a lovely Ted Baker smellies set! We have a quick gossip and then Mum and Col arrive to take me home.

First ever blood transfusion - done!

No comments:

Post a Comment