Thursday 12 July 2018

Portacath Fitting

I had a really bad night last night, stomach cramps, sweats, severe nausea and (despite the domperidone) actual sickness. This is all thanks to the cape. I still felt sicky in the morning and had to force myself to get up and showered for going to have my port fitted.

At 11:15 Amanda, Lil and Grandma drove me to Royal Surrey Hospital in Guildford for my port fitting. We got there at 12:30 and Amanda took me in in a wheelchair. We checked in and then after making sure I was comfortable she headed off. I then waited about an hour before the nurse did my obs and fitted a cannula (using a dressing I wasn't allergic to - hooray)!

A cannula with a dressing I'm not allergic to!

So what actually is a port?
A port(acath) is a device which is inserted under the skin to allow easy access for IV injections and bloods. The Port is about the size of a walnut and has a chamber with a membrane that self-seals when punctured with the special access needles. Source: Royal Surrey County Hospital Info Sheet

I need one because my veins are shockingly bad. The right arm is bad anyway but still has the DVT (yay!), and the left arm is the one that has had lymph nodes removed so is a no go. Basically it will make my life a hell of a lot easier every cape cycle where I need bloods taken.

I then had to wait half an hour or so before I was taken down on my bed to the operating theatre. They took my obs and moved me onto the operating bed. Dr L explained the procedure and I signed the consent form. 

They then injected me with some strong painkillers and anaesthetic and the procedure started. I was kind of asleep and kind of awake. I could hear the team all moving around, bleeps of machines and touches on my body; but I couldn't feel any pain or actually open my eyes.

Next thing I know I'm coming to properly and I'm back in the room Amanda dropped me off in earlier that morning. The nurses bring me a sugary tea and a yoghurt. They make me wait half an hour, tell me to get hold of my lift home and then take my cannula out.

Post op selfie!

Amanda and Paul then arrive to take me home. We get into the car and Amanda has bought me some yummy fruit from M&S which I was really craving and I wolf it down! They drop me back home about 19:15 and Rob and I chill on the sofa until bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment