Thursday 28 June 2012

Choices

Rob & I went to the Fertility Clinic today at the Royal Surrey Guildford. Neither of us were sure what we were going to do when we were there so when it turned out we were simply having a chat I think it was a relief to us both.

Having thought that this part of the process would be easy, it turns out it's not quite so simple. In order for me to have this part of treatment, I would need to be blasted with a huge dose of oestrogen. As it looks like my cancer is oestrogen receptive this blast could actually increase the size of my cancer and would delay my chemo treatment by around 3 weeks. As such, Rob & I have decided not to proceed with this part of the puzzle.

In the future, if it turns out I am one of the 10% of women rendered infertile by the chemo then we can always use a donor or adopt.

One part of today that did make me angry was that if I had wanted to go ahead then Rob & I would have had to have found £3,000 because fertility treatment is not covered by the Sussex trust. The Dr at Guildford said he thought it was crazy because if I lived in Guildford (thus falling under the Surrey trust) then it would have been covered under the NHS! Seems like a postcode lottery and that maybe we have too many children in Sussex, ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment