Monday 18 June 2012

Poking & Proding

Rob drove me to East Surrey Hospital with us both feeling like this was still a dream. We went into the Outpatients Area which was the most dreary, dull and depressing waiting room I had ever been in. We got called in 20 minutes late and saw Dr Stacey-Clear (who we had seen privately at Spire before Florida) who said that the mammogram had shown up something "suspicious" that they wanted to look closer at.

He said that I would immeadiately be having an MRI, an ultrasound and a biopsy. It was then that I started to actually get more concerned, why would I be needing all these tests if it was just nothing.....

There was also a Macmillan nurse called Carol in the room which also concerned me, why would she be there if they weren't seriously concerned about this...?! Carol took Rob and I to a separate room and explained a little to us about why we were doing the things we were.

They led me to the MRI room where I had to have an injection to open up my vein in order for them to put red dye into me so that the MRI images were more clear. I was then asked to lie face down, given headphones (no music - just to block the noise) and the dye was flushed through my arm. The MRI was noisy, claustrophobic and seemed never ending.

Afterwards I was led to the waiting room for the ultrasound and biopsy and I broke down in tears in Rob's arms as I realised what this could all mean.....

They called my name and I went into the ultrasound room. The lady scanned my boobs and armpit and commented that it didn't appear to have changed since before Florida which was a good thing. She then asked Rob to leave and I was injected twice (as there were two lumps) in my left boob with a local anaesthetic and she then took samples from each lump in a procedure called a core biopsy.

I was then wrapped up in bandages and told that Carol would call me with an appointment time to discuss the results on Friday.

Let the waiting begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment