Monday 25 June 2012

Diagnosis

Waiting until 4pm today was the longest day ever. I literally ate a tablespoon of rice all day as I felt so sick.


Got to the hospital with Rob and Mum had taken the afternoon off work to be there too.

We were asked to go to the waiting room, hot, old and grim. If ever win the lottery I would donate money to hospitals to make their waiting rooms far cheerier places.

We met with Dr Stephen Houston and a lovely nurse called Dee. We asked loads of questions and they gave us loads of information.

So I now have a treatment plan in place.

Going for 'egg harvesting' - such a cold term(!) first of all as the oncologist told me that 1/10 women can be made infertile by the chemo treatment. Then pretty soon after this I'll start my chemo (potential to start on my 29th birthday!) which will be every 3 weeks for 6 treatments.

 I'll be on something called FEC-T, you can read a bit more about it here http://cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/cancer-drugs/fect Side effects of the chemo vary from person to person and one could be hair loss. I have such thick hair so I'm hoping that I'll be okay. You can also slow/stop hair loss in some cases using a Cold Cap so let's hope I'm one of the lucky ones this time.

They'll then look at taking the lump out and then I'll be having radiotherapy.

They then talked about me being on a drug called Temoxifen for 5 years after the final bout of radiotherapy, during this time I can't have children. I always thought I'd be a mum by my early 30s....


So all a bit intense but at least I have a plan which has made me feel a little more in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment