Friday 2 June 2017

Sleeping Lions

I've reached the end of my first week of radiotherapy. I started my chest and ribs rads on Wednesday. It has been pretty much the same process as with my hip, I go in to the room, lie on the "bed" of the machine and put my arms above my head. The radiographers then move me into the correct position and leave the room. I'm told to stay as still as possible, like a really shit game of sleeping lions, apart from in this version your prize is actually zapping the right area if you don't move, as opposed to winning a bag of sweeties.


Then the machine whirs and moves around me. With every beep and noise I hear I chant the mantra "kill, kill, kill, die, die, die" and I picture the cancer cells being obliterated. It might sound ridiculous, but that's what the rads is supposed to be doing, so why not! Then the team come back in, lower the bed, I get (hobble) off and I'm free to go. The whole process from entering the room to leaving to dress takes 10 minutes.

So far I'm feeling okayish. On Wednesday night my hip was really sore, I was lying on the sofa crying. I took ibuprofen and put a hot wheatbag on it and the pain subsided a little, but it did shake me up a fair bit. I know this is all real, but feeling actual physical pain made it more so. It feels a bit better today though, so hopefully it will just feel betterer going forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment