Wednesday 5 July 2017

Adamantium

Today I had a check-up with my very lovely "trial" oncologist at Guildford. He's so kind and patient and really takes the time to explain things and reassure me. He seemed surprised I hadn't had my oophorectomy yet, but I reminded him I only finished rads a week ago and he said I should try and get it done asap. I have a meeting with gynaecology tomorrow so hopefully I'll have a date then.

I then asked him about the PET scan I had back on 17th June, my first piece of good news for a while, there has been no progression! I was terrified that the bastard had been silently spreading, invading my organs, so this is a very, very good thing.

Then I was told I would be having my first zometa that afternoon. Zometa (aka Zoledronic Acid) is going to be my adamantium. It's a bone strengthening drug which you receive by an IV which takes 15 minutes. I'll be having it every 6 weeks. The nurse walked me up to Chilworth ward and I have to admit my resolve crumbled. Although yes I've had my rads marathon, somehow, even though I know this drug is a good thing, having an IV drip makes everything real again. I'm not in denial about this whole shit sandwich of a situation, but I am trying to find my new normal and having an IV is like cancer smacking you in the face and shouting at you.

Chilworth Ward & Rob's knee!

Mum, Rob and I waited in that boiling room for about half an hour before my notes arrived and then I had a cannula put in and the drip, drip, drip of the drug began.
Adamantium time

When I heard the familiar "pfft, click, pfft, click" of the machine I fully burst into tears. That noise just took me right back to my chemo days in 2012. Although the oncologist had told me this was a low toxicity drug, it doesn't come without side effects which frighten me. Osteonecrosis of the jaw is probably the most terrifying one. Thankfully I went to the dentists yesterday and they said my teeth looked perfect so I am hoping this won't happen to me. The 15 minutes seemed to last for hours but eventually it was done and (armed with some daily calcium tablets to take) I was free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment