Tuesday 22 January 2013

WLE #2

Today I had my second WLE which I needed because they didn't quite get clear margins on the first op. Mum, Rob and I checked in at 07h00 and this time (because of the massive wait last time!) had prepared ourselves for sitting in the waiting room for a long time.

I was taken to register with the nurses at about 07h45 and as last time, she ran through various questions with me & measured me for some sexy anti DVT stockings and got me to wee in a little cup.

About 08h30 I met with my surgeon who explained exactly how the operation would work. Then I met with the anaesthetist who explained to me how the GA would work. He said they would put a cannula in my hand & then I would have the GA injected. He explained my arm would ache a bit & then I would fall asleep. As before, I told him that I was nervous because my veins aren't very compliant now after having had chemo, & he assured me they would be gentle! I also told him that last time I came round from the operation I was sick and he said they would give me extra antiemetics this time.

I then sat down for about another 45 minutes and then was called in to have my operation. It was a bit of a surprise as last time I didn't go through until about 14h00. I was taken through to a room to get changed. I had to leave my knickers on but take everything else off, put on my sexy stockings, hospital gown and then also my slippers and dressing gown which you are told to bring to hospital with you.

I went upstairs (in the lift) to surgery and then lay down on the hospital bed. The anaesthetist talked to me for a little bit and tried to put two cannulas in my hand (where the veins were not playing ball) and then on the third attempt my veins obeyed. The GA felt a little cold going in and then the next thing I knew I was waking up (it was 10h50 so the operation lasted just over an hour) on the recovery ward.

It felt like I was waking up from a massive dream and the first thing I asked was if I had a drain in, and I didn't - woo! I had an oxygen mask on for about half an hour and was also given some painkillers by drip because my wound felt a little sore. After my mask came off I was given some water, and then about 40 minutes later I was taken to the day surgery ward.

At the day surgery ward I was given a sandwich and a cup of tea and told to rest for a while, and that Mum and Rob could come and collect me about 14h00. One tip I'd give anyone reading this, is to take something to read, because just lying there waiting is very boring! Last time, because of the norovirus outbreak and lack of beds I had to just wait on the recovery ward (rather than go to the day surgery ward) and therefore I thought the same would happen again this time so brought nothing to read with me, mistake!

The lady from Medi-Home came to see me and said they would visit me at home for the next few days until they officially discharged me.

Once I had got my strength back up, I got dressed and sat in the chair in the day ward so that my bed could be made up for the next patient. Mum and Rob turned up about 14h00 and we waited for my BCN Carole who had a brief chat to me and gave me my follow-up appointment letter for 01/02/13. Fingers crossed for clear margins this time!

By 15h30 I was home, much better than the 21h00 last time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment